Sunday, February 26, 2017

Stress Scale – Nerdy Edition (LOTR)


This week has been stressful. The last six weeks have been stressful. Thank you, grad school. But I would rather be here, working hard, than doing anything else in the world. Except maybe chilling with the Brits, seeing the Pope, and touring Europe. I digress.



At the same time, I keep thinking about a piece of paper that hangs in the student workroom at school…it is a stress scale, numbered one to seven, with “one” representing “no stress” and “seven” representing something like “so stressed I could cry.”



It’s a great stress scale, but it doesn’t quite fit my needs. The numbers don’t adequately express the particular brand of stress that I deal with regularly. So, I give you my own twist on the stress scale:

"THE LORD OF THE RINGS" STRESS SCALE

NO STRESS

1 – Attending a Hobbit birthday party
2 – Left home without a handkerchief
3 – Missing some spoons from my nice silverware set
4 – Feeling like butter scraped across too much bread
5 – Someone doesn’t appreciate, or even know, what “taters” be
6 – Gandalf just told me I inherited the worst gift ever and now I have to destroy it
7 – My friends just decided we are going to try to walk into Mordor
8 – I can feel the Eye of Sauron on me
9 – My life depends on solving a riddle and I definitely can’t think of the answer
10 – I stole treasure from a dragon and now he’s chasing me and wants to eat me
 ⇓
ALL THE STRESS

I like this scale.
Do you think it would be valid to use this as a stress-rating scale for my master’s thesis? It's a tough question.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that comments are monitored and any profane or rude comments will be deleted.