Saturday, June 13, 2015

The Age of the Geek

I've never written a blog with other people before, so this promises to be interesting. My own blog, which lasted for about a year, sort of pathetically fizzled out, but hopefully with other writers to keep me motivated, this time around will be different.

As much as I love Narnia, LOTR, Austen, and many things nerdy, my own preferences (at this point in time) lean more toward the #SuperWhoLock category of fandoms--that is, Supernatural, Doctor Who, and Sherlock, as well as the Marvel genre: Avengers, Agent Carter, Daredevil, etc. Nor is my love of all things geekified limited to these that I have listed. The reason for this passion is not merely because the characters are so well-developed and enticing, nor is it the satirical nature of the humor, although those are major factors. (Side note: character development is important. This is why so many shows only last a few seasons and mostly suck. They have no character development.) A big reason for my love of these things is that, no matter how secular they may be or how out there, I seem to always be able to find those specks of Truth that speak to the catholicism (universality) of Catholicism. 

For instance, Doctor Who: "In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important." The importance of human life, right there. Boom. The Doctor is all about life--saving it, defending it, whatever. He's there to make sure it goes on. And he's willing to sacrifice to make it happen. And that is beautiful.

Supernatural: It's all about family, and "family don't end in blood." Also, parents are not there to be your friends. They're there to be your PARENTS.

Sherlock: Personal relationships are important. People need each other. We were created to need others. 

I could go on, but I think you get the point. All these shows and more are long-standing and have a lasting effect and a huge fan base because they all communicate universal truths, things that everyone can relate to and which have always been and will always be true. 

These universal truths are what help bind us together as a community of geeks, whether we are willing to admit it or not. And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the age of the geek. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that comments are monitored and any profane or rude comments will be deleted.