Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Another Top 10 List!


Do you remember a few years ago when a “Top 10 list of books which have stayed with you” was the status that you were most likely to see on your Facebook page? It seemed like everybody jumped on that bandwagon.

And it was a good bandwagon. As a communication undergrad, I learned that stories are a great medium for communication, and I think that the stories we value most have a lot to say about us.

Well, today, I’m not going to bring back the “Top 10” list for books. Surprise!

Instead, I’m reworking it for a different type of story – saint stories. As a child, I loved reading about the lives of saints, and their biographies have remained inspirational for me even to the present day. Like books, I think the saints we have found most influential in our lives have a lot to say about who we are. Here are ten saints who have been influential in my life.



1.      Mary – specifically, Our Lady, Undoer of Knots: Besides praying (both before- and after-prayers) before meals (yes…we say both at the same time, before we eat), the only other tradition my family has on a daily basis is saying the Rosary as a family. I’ve found great comfort participating in this Marian devotion on a daily basis. More recently, though, I’ve learned about Our Lady, Undoer of Knots. Even the title fascinates me. When I pray for Mary’s intercession under this title, I ask for her to undo the knots in my life. The knots can be anything from a sin I struggle with to a difficult situation to a confusing relationship, and everything in-between. Visualizing my struggles as knots provides a very concrete way for me to ask Mary for help; and I know Our Lady will help unravel them.


2.      St. Therese of Lisieux: I first encountered “Little T” when I read her autobiography, “Story of a Soul,” in eighth grade. I chose her as my confirmation saint, but I really fell in love with her “Little Way” later in high school and college. I say a novena for her intercession every year and love celebrating her feastday. The struggles Little T faced resonate deeply with those I have experienced in my own life. But, even more encouraging to me, is knowing that I don’t have to become the foundress of an order or a martyr to become a saint (although it would be incredible to be either, in a hard way). I can live a humble, simple life and still become a saint. The tricky part is actually doing it.


3.      St. Augustine: Saint Augustine is not a saint who I would put on my list of “favorites” like Little T (no offence meant, St. Augustine), but he wrote a phrase that has stuck with me throughout the years: “You have formed us for Yourself, and our hearts are restless til they find rest in you.” Sometimes I remember it when I’m praying about something, and sometimes it nudges me when I listen to 80’s rock music (I’m looking at you, U2, cuz you still haven’t found what you’re looking for).


4.      Pope St. John Paull II: Every time I think I’ve reached the next level of Catholic-fan-girl, I find something new to love about JPII. I am grateful to him for many things, including the “Theology of the Body” discussion group that I’ve been a part of for a year and half now. He is inspiring and so brilliant that I ache to be a better person. His example makes me want to be holy. Side note: some of the best memes I've seen on Facebook are of him.





5.      St. Mother Teresa: This is the way I refer to her, whether it is correct or not – I apologize. I read a biography of her life a few years ago and decided that she is the bee’s knees. She set an example for loving everyone we come across. “Love begins by taking care of the closest ones – the ones at home,” she said, and “We think sometimes that poverty is only being hungry, naked and homeless. The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty. We must start in our own homes to remedy this kind of poverty.” It is easy to think I might be holier if I were serving the destitute in the slums of Calcutta, but Mother Teresa reminds me that I have no excuse – I need to be loving and serving the people I see in my own house and in my life every day. Also, I love this quote of hers: “We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do.”


6.      St. Philomena: This fourteen-year-old virgin martyr is pretty amazing. According to catholic.org, she is the only saint to be canonized based solely on the miracles worked through her intercession – nothing really is known of her from a historical perspective. However, a nun reported that St. Philomena appeared to her in a vision and revealed more information about her mysterious life; she had refused to marry Diocletian, a Roman emperor, and was martyred for it. But she didn’t die after scourging, multiple attempts to shoot her with arrows, and drowning. She did die, however, from beheading. I was captivated by her story as a young teenager, and though my fascination with her has diminished, I still think she is an excellent role model. If such a young woman could face torture and die for her faith, I ought to be courageous, too.


7.      St. Francis de Sales: A friend once sent me a quote of St. Francis de Sales (at least, it’s attributed to him) that she thought I would appreciate. I did appreciate it. “Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them – every day begin the task anew.” I loved it so much that every time I cleared out the texts in my dumbphone, I kept that one. Until I accidentally deleted it, at least. This man actually has many quotable quotes that hit where it hurts because they are spot-on, and his “Introduction to the Devout Life” is a great book to read.


8.      St. Joan of Arc: There was a time in my youth when I was convinced Saint Joan of Arc was going to be my confirmation saint. Her story captivated me – visions of saints, a call from God to lead the troops of France in war. Her bravery, her faith, her death – all spoke to me, a lover of adventure and action. I loved her, and I was very disappointed as a child because my birthday was just shy of landing on her feastday.


9.      St. Thomas Aquinas: This is another saint who is not necessarily a “favorite,” but he has influenced me all the same. I can read his works only piecemeal, but what I have read is extremely solid. He is brilliant. As a person who likes step-by-step instructions or explanations, I can say that his works fit the bill.


10.  Servant of God Father Emil Kapaun: This man is not a saint yet, but he’s on the road to canonization. And, he hails from my part of the country. Born in Pilsen, Kansas, this man served as a chaplain in the Korean War and served his fellow prisoners of war in the prison camp where he eventually died. If you ever get a chance, you should definitely read up on his life. Here, let me help you out. http://fatherkapaun.org/kapaun-contact-us/about-fr-kapaun . Now you have no excuse for not learning more.

I hope you’ve enjoyed reading about these amazing saints. I challenge you to think about the ten most influential saints in your life. Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that comments are monitored and any profane or rude comments will be deleted.